Mussels in a Basil-White Wine Sauce
An easy, classy, and flavorful dinner perfect for a date night at home! It uses less than 10 ingredients and is ready in under 15 minutes.
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Salted Butter
- 2 lbs. Live Mussels
- 1 large Shallot, or 2 small shallots, finely sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- 1/3 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/3 cup Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- (Optional) 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Sourdough Toast or Crostini, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the sliced shallots and minced garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the zest and juice of 1 Lemon.
- Stir in the white wine and chicken stock.
- Add the rinsed and prepared mussels to the skillet. Stir all ingredients together.
- Cover with a lid to steam for 3-4 minutes, until the mussel shells have opened. Discard any mussels that did not open.
- (Optional) Reduce heat to low and slowly pour in the heavy cream.
- Stir in the chopped basil, as well as salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with sourdough toast or crostini to enjoy!