Garlic, Chive, & Sauerkraut German Pretzels
For the Pretzels:
- 4 1/4 cups All Purpose or Bread Flour
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 2 1/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar or Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups Bubbies Naturally-Fermented Sauerkraut
- 4 Garlic Cloves, (finely minced)
- 1 tbsp. Chives, (finely chopped)
- Black Pepper & Salt, (to taste)
- Spicy Brown Mustard, ((optional) for serving)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, quickly whisk together the warm water, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Let sit at room temperature for 8-10 minutes, until the yeast is active and bubbly.
- Using the dough hook, add in the olive oil to mix on medium speed. Then, gradually add in the flour, one cup at a time. Knead on medium speed for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Either temporarily remove the dough from the bowl or grease a separate bowl, then add the dough into the lightly greased bowl, cover, and set aside at room temperature until doubel in volume, about one hour. (The best method is to place it in your oven with the light on.)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line 1-2 large baking pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the filling ingredients, then set aside.
- Add the baking soda to a large pot of water (about 6-8 cups) to be brought to a boil while you stuff the pretzels.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Gently transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, then divide it into 8 equal portions. For each portion, roll out the dough to be a 16-18" long rope, roll the dough out flat width-wise, then disperse 1-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture along the center. Pinch together the dough to cover the filling, then hold the ends to create a U-shape. Cross over the ends, then pinch them to the bottom of the dough. (See picture guide above)
- Working one pretzel at a time, add a pretzel into the baking soda water to boil for 30 seconds on each side. Then, transfer to the prepared baking pan. Give each pretzel an olive oil or egg wash and finish with your favorite toppings (sesame seeds, poppyseeds, salt, etc).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!