Flaky, creamy, rich chocolate-y custard... this is the NEW chocolate covered strawberry recipe! ;)
Note: The custard will need to sit for 2 hours in the fridge before using. However, if in rush for time, you can just pipe the hazelnut chocolate spread directly on the pastries for a delicious chocolate-y treat!
- To make the custard, heat up the milk until hot but not boiling.
- In the meantime, add the yolks, sugar, and flour into a saucepan. Whisk together until smooth. While whisking, slowly gradually pour in the hot milk. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, while stirring, for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter until melted. Stir in the hazelnut chocolate spread to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on top of the custard to prevent it from hardening on top, and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry on a clean, lightly floured surface. Using a sharp kitchen knife or large cookie cutter, cut out your hearts. Try the have them be at least 4" wide. Place on the prepared pan.
- Brush with an egg wash and lightly sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Remove and let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Once cooled completely, pipe on the chocolate custard or straight hazelnut chocolate spread and top with a semi-sliced strawberry. Enjoy!