Easy Sourdough Pizza Crust (Detailed Recipe)
For the crust:
- 350 grams Water, (preferably lukewarm)
- 110 grams Sourdough Starter, (active and bubbly)
- 500 grams All Purpose or Bread Flour
- 10 grams Salt
- In a large bowl, stir together the lukewarm water, sourdough starter, and salt.
- Add in the flour, use your hand like a spatula to mix until the flour is completely incorporated. (There should not be any dry spots of flour left.) Cover with a kitchen towel or saran wrap, then set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- After the first rest, it's time for the first fold. Remove the cover, then gently pull up one side on the dough to then fold over into the center. Turn the bowl slightly and repeat. Repeat the pull & fold method a total of 8 times. Then, cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- After the second rest, repeat the pull and fold method same as before, then rest an additional 30 minutes. (You will have done the pull and fold method for a total of 3 times.) By the end, the dough should be more smooth and elastic. If not, repeat one more time.
- Cover the dough with saran wrap, set out at room temperature for 4-16 hours (until doubled in volume). (I usually will do this so that I complete the last fold prior to bed, so that it rests overnight. The timining will also depend on the time of year, like summer or winter, and strength of your sourdough. For instance, you may be able to start this dough early morning during the hot summer months and have it ready by the evening).
- Gently transfer the dough to a clean and very lightly floured surface. (You want to be careful to pull from the edges and DO NOT punch down the dough, or you will loose the air pockets that were created during fermentation.)
- Using a bench scraper or knife, carefully separate the dough into 4 equal portions. Using the stickiness of the dough on the clean surface to your advantage, gently roll each portion into a tight ball. (Tip: Use your pink finger to press the bottom of the dough inward as you shape it into a ball.)
- Place the dough in either small separate containers or distribute on a baking pan, then transfer to the fridge for at least 4 hours (up to 8 hours).
- When ready to be used, remove the dough to sit out at room temperature for at least 20 minutes while you prepare the toppings or heat up your oven/pizza oven.
- OVEN: Preheat oven to 500F. place a large baking pan or pizza stone in the oven as it preheats.
- PIZZA OVEN: Heat up until temperature reaches at least 500F (you can test this by using a infrared thermometer or allowing it to heat up for at least 15 minutes).
- TIP: If using the oven, you will prepare the pizza on the hot baking pan or pizza stone. If using the pizza oven, you will want to prepare the pizza on a pizza peel that has been generously dusted with flour for easy removal.
- Place one dough ball on a lightly floured surface, then use your fingers to press into the dough to outline the crust. Either use your hands to gently stretch the dough from the center on the prepared peel or pan until your desired crust thickness.
- Add your favorite toppings!
- OVEN: Bake for 6-12 minutes, then (optional) broil 1-2 minutes, until desired crust. Enjoy!
- PIZZA OVEN: Cook for 40-60 seconds, then pull out to twist 180 degrees and cook an additional 30-60 seconds, until desired crust. Enjoy!